Saturday 6 June 2015

The Big Bad World of Anxiety

(Image from -http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/374938,
anxiety-gaming-and-me-and-maybe-you.aspx)

All of ye who have anxiety will understand how crappy it makes you feel. Anxiety can make you feel pretty alone and panicky and I just wanted to talk a bit about it as it is something that people experience during exams.
As I'm on my summer holidays now, I'm not seeing any of the people who I'd see on a daily basis and I realise a lot of my "friends" aren't actually friends of mine. When you see things on the social media, Snapchat, Facebook, etc. from the people who you would consider friends, and not being invited it does make you feel pretty sad/anxious/panicky. 
I'm very lucky to not have super bad anxiety where your whole life has to be altered due to how anxious you feel, like my anxiety isn't as bad where I wouldn't be able to go into town by myself or fly in a plane.
As a young girl I was quite popular up until the age of 9 when my parents decided we needed a bigger house so we moved even further down into the country. I'm talking about No Mans land... I was thrown into a Co-Ed school, so both boys and girls were together and as someone who was in a same sex school, it was really difficult for me. I was popular for around a week, I was that something new and then the other kids just got bored and went back to their own things.  Having two brothers, you would think I would be great with talking to lads, I'm going into 5th year and I still struggle with talking to boys.
(https://www.pinterest.com/explore/stealing-quotes/)
I've always had pretty low self esteem where I just didn't feel good about myself,(skin, looks, body, personality) and any friendships that I had that had fallen apart, I always used to blame myself and I guess I just didn't feel like I was worthy of having friends.
Anxiety for me is having super sweaty palms, racing heartbeat, breathing problems and feeling sick to my stomach. I used to just want to go home and climb into my bed and just cry and just eat as much sweet stuff as possible. Its great that in our society, mental health issues are starting to get the attention that it needs and people are no longer afraid to speak about it.
There's a few things that I like to do to calm myself down and bear in mind these aren't the right things to do during an anxiety attack but what I like to do and what I find works!


  • I like to just turn off social media such as Facebook- I always seem to be the one who starts conversations between myself and friends and when they don't reply, I panic so I feel this works pretty well.
  • I bought a diary from eBay and when I've had a rough day, I like to just vent my feelings and frustrations into the pages. I feel much better after this and it's great for when you don't want to vent to an actual person.
  • I feel keeping busy is a great way to just forget about your problems and worries, this could be going for a walk or even watching videos on YouTube.
  • As i said above, exercise is a fantastic way to just unwind and calm down. During days where I feel anxious I like to just meet up with my friend and just walk or else bring my dog out for a long walk. Fresh air is great for your mind and I can guarantee you'll feel even a little bit better after.
  • Never ever skip meals, I know from experience, it wont solve anything but just make you feel worse.
  • I was introduced to meditation during Transition Year and even just doing 10 minutes of it, it makes you feel so much refreshed and I really love it.


Again this is just things that I do when I feel anxious and I hope some might help you. Realistically these are just typical things that are good to do. Again if anyone wanted to talk about anything, I'm always here!
Becca.x 

No comments:

Post a Comment